Supreme Court Stays Bail Order for Kuldeep Singh Sengar in Unnao Rape Case

Published on: 29-12-2025
Protests at Jantar Mantar against Kuldeep Sengar bail in Unnao rape case

New Delhi – In a quick move that brought relief to many, the Supreme Court today stayed the Delhi High Court order which had put on hold the life sentence of former BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar in the 2017 Unnao rape case. A bench headed by Chief Justice Surya Kant made it clear that Sengar will not be released from jail because of this stay. The court noted that Sengar is already serving time in another related case.

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had challenged the Delhi High Court’s decision from December 23, which suspended Sengar’s life term and granted him conditional bail while his appeal is pending. The Supreme Court heard the matter urgently and put the High Court order on hold.

What Happened in the Supreme Court Today

The vacation bench, including Justices J K Maheshwari and Augustine George Masih, heard the CBI’s plea. Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for CBI, called the crime “horrific” and said Sengar was in a position of power when he raped a minor girl. He argued that the High Court made a mistake by saying a sitting MLA is not a public servant under the law.

Chief Justice Surya Kant said, “In view of the peculiar facts where the convict is convicted in a separate offence, we stay the operation of the Delhi High Court order dated December 23, 2025. Thus, respondent shall not be released pursuant to the said order.”

Supreme Court
Supreme Court stays bail for Kuldeep Singh Sengar in Unnao rape case

The court issued notice to Sengar and asked for his reply in four weeks. The next hearing is likely in the last week of January 2026.

Background of the Unnao Rape Case

The case goes back to June 2017 when a 17-year-old girl from Unnao in Uttar Pradesh accused Kuldeep Singh Sengar, then a powerful BJP MLA, of raping her at his home. She had gone to him seeking a job. The girl tried to file a complaint but faced delays and pressure.

In April 2018, her father was beaten up badly by Sengar’s brother and others, and he died in police custody. This led to huge public anger. The girl even tried to set herself on fire outside the Chief Minister’s house in Lucknow.

The Supreme Court took note and transferred all five related cases from Uttar Pradesh to Delhi for a fair trial. It also ordered protection for the girl and her family, and compensation.

Kuldeep Singh Sengar Unnao rape convict

In December 2019, a Delhi trial court found Sengar guilty of rape under IPC and aggravated sexual assault under POCSO Act. He was sentenced to life imprisonment till his natural death, with a fine of Rs 25 lakh.

In March 2020, Sengar got 10 years in jail for the custodial death of the girl’s father.

Sengar appealed against both convictions in the Delhi High Court.

Why Delhi High Court Suspended the Sentence

On December 23, 2025, a Delhi High Court bench suspended the life sentence in the rape case. They said Sengar had already spent over seven years and five months in jail. The court also ruled that an MLA does not count as a ‘public servant’ under the IPC definition, so some stricter POCSO charges may not apply fully.

They granted conditional bail: Sengar had to give a personal bond of Rs 15 lakh, stay in Delhi, not go near the survivor’s home within 5 km, and not threaten her or her family.

But Sengar could not come out anyway because of the 10-year sentence in the father’s death case, where no bail was granted yet.

Protests and Reactions After High Court Order

The High Court decision led to strong protests. The survivor, now living in Delhi with protection, called it “death” for her family. She said their security was already reduced, and she feared for her life.

On December 28, the survivor, her mother, and activists like Yogita Bhayana protested at Jantar Mantar. There were slogans for justice and safety. A few women came to support Sengar, leading to heated arguments, but police kept order.

Women activist Yogita Bhayana says,” Satyamev Jayate. We were hoping for this order. We thank the Supreme Court and all the media for this(Pic Credit Yogita X Account)

The survivor said, “This decision means death for my family. We will fight in Supreme Court.”

Her lawyer Hemant Kumar Maurya thanked the Supreme Court for today’s order and said, “We hope for full justice.”

CBI quickly moved the Supreme Court, calling the High Court order wrong and a risk to the survivor.

Statements from Different Sides

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told the court: “This was a horrific rape on a minor. Sengar was in position of trust and authority.”

The survivor’s mother demanded strong punishment: “He should be hanged immediately.”

Activist Yogita Bhayana said after today’s order: “We are hopeful Supreme Court will protect the survivor.”

Sengar’s daughter Aishwarya posted on social media asking supporters to stay calm and trust the courts.

Why This Case Matters

The Unnao case showed how powerful people can try to silence victims. The girl and her family faced attacks, a truck accident that killed two relatives, and constant threats. It highlighted problems in women’s safety and how influence affects justice.

Many see today’s Supreme Court stay as a step to protect the survivor and send a message that serious crimes get proper punishment.

The court also talked about giving legal aid to the survivor for her safety.

What Happens Next

Sengar stays in jail. His appeals in both cases are pending in High Court. The Supreme Court will hear more in January.

The survivor and her supporters hope for stronger protection and no more relief for Sengar.

This case reminds everyone that justice must be fair and quick, especially for victims of serious crimes.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the Unnao rape case?

In 2017, Kuldeep Singh Sengar, a then BJP MLA, raped a minor girl in Unnao, Uttar Pradesh. She was 17 years old. The case also involves the death of her father in custody and threats to the family.

What did the Delhi High Court do on December 23, 2025?

It suspended Sengar’s life sentence in the rape case and granted conditional bail while his appeal is heard. They said he served enough time and an MLA is not a public servant for some charges.

Why did the Supreme Court stay that order today?

CBI challenged it, saying the High Court was wrong on law and it risks the survivor’s safety. The court agreed to stay it because Sengar is in jail for another case anyway.

Is Kuldeep Singh Sengar out of jail now?

No. He remains in jail because of the 10-year sentence in the father’s death case and today’s stay.

What punishments has Sengar got?

Life imprisonment till natural death for rape (2019), and 10 years for custodial death of the victim’s father (2020).

Why were there protests?

The survivor and activists feared for her safety if Sengar got relief. They protested at Jantar Mantar and other places demanding justice.

What did the survivor say?

She called the High Court order “death” for her family and said she feels unsafe. She thanked the Supreme Court for today’s decision.

When is the next hearing?

Supreme Court asked for reply in four weeks, likely hearing in late January 2026.

Aawaaz Uthao: We are committed to exposing grievances against state and central governments, autonomous bodies, and private entities alike. We share stories of injustice, highlight whistleblower accounts, and provide vital insights through Right to Information (RTI) discoveries. We also strive to connect citizens with legal resources and support, making sure no voice goes unheard.

Follow Us On Social Media

Get Latest Update On Social Media